Monday 1 April 2013

Cooking in Cuban 3.0

I've been calling myself -every now and then- a "situationist artist" for well over 25 years. Most of my "art" is performed, without any sticker,  woven in the warp and weft of ordinary life...  and I NEVER save a visual souvenir, a permanence... The most I do -and not always- is to write a little note about the performance.

There are, however, some recurrent sets of works. "Cooking in Cuban" is one of them.

CiC is very simple, and happens all the time: I can't cook in any other way but in Cuban... in spite of being a post-nationalist rootless cosmopolitan. Some times, purposely, I organise a meal and have friends over -or I cook at their place- and while preparing a "Cuban meal" I tell stories. Those stories might be related to the actual meal, my personal life, friends' etc. Some times I select the soundtrack; in other occasions,  music is a random event.

As a parallel act -"unrelated" to my performances- I was invited by a local NGO to cook a Cuban meal in one of their fundraising events. As soon as I get their pictures -and their website is updated- I'll be telling more about them and their "Murder in Havana" event. In the meantime, here's the poster:




3 comments:

Unknown said...

We must have a Langosta cooking contest soon. When I lived on Calle B an neighbor came by quite often offering to sell us illegal seafood. He often had fresh Lobster tails as well as a box or two of frozen shrimp, which we hurriedly bought and immediately hid in the freezer. My American-Cuban friend, who's house it was loved to cook and eat. Lobster and shrimp were his favorites. We use to had cooking contests and one night he would cook the Langosta and the next time I would cook them, we did this often until we ate them all! My favorite of his was Lobster in a red tomato rum sauce. His favorite of mine was always Lobester ala Americaine!

Unknown said...

P.S. April Fool!!

adiazpaz said...

Lenny, what I want to cook with you is crayfish :) to compare cajun vs cubiche style